Thursday, August 23, 2007

Stopping Hair Loss

There's often mention of hair loss as an early side effect of beginning a low carb diet, and then I've also read that it's possible to experience hair loss with ANY drastic change in your eating habits. My hair started to noticeably thin several months ago, but it was always so thick that I figured I could use a little shedding. For such a long time, I was unable to swallow any pills so I hadn't had my usual supplements of calcium, potassium or even a multivitamin. I tried the liquid Centrum multi but it tasted horrible so I just waited until I was able to swallow before I went back to pill form.

It was suggested in several forums that Biotin, a B Complex supplement, was very good at stemming hair loss and encouraging regrowth. The posters I'd read were taking between 2500mg and 5000mg daily, so I purchased the 5000mg capsules and started last week.

I'm happy to report that a mere 7 days later, I can already see the difference. I'm a chronic hair picker, which really doesn't help because I pull my hair out nervously and it comes out from the scalp! After shampooing last night, I got just a small amount in the comb - just slightly above what would be a normal rate of loss when combing wet hair. Then I blow dried, a bare few strands came out in the blower comb. Today, I sat at work and pulled and twisted, and got only a few strands in between my fingers. Definitely a huge difference! At one point before I started the Biotin, I thought for sure I would pull out a bald spot from the way it was just breaking free of my scalp!

I need to find out what foods I can add to my diet to substitute for taking the Biotin, or maybe its an age thing, perhaps I need the extra Biotin as I get older, regardless of what I eat?

I've had super duper thick hair my entire life, so I'm not all that interested in growing all of that back, especially in the summer. But these Michigan winters will really make me want my thick hair back so I'd better stick with the Biotin at least until then.

Another thing - I searched for it for a while before I found it. I'd looked in a couple of drugstores and neither had it, so I was all set to get it at GNC for upwards of $25 a bottle. Then when I was searching for another multivitamin at Walgreens, I just happened to look up on the top shelf and there it was by Nature's Bounty, 60 capsules for only $10.49. BIG difference! So be sure to check your local stores before you pay too much at health product retailers.

0 comments: