Saturday, July 21, 2007

Uvulaectomy vs. Tonsillectomy

Today I'm having a bit of annoying irritation at the top of my mouth, and I realize its all coming from where the doc removed my uvula. (Did I mention that already?) There's virtually no pain with my tonsillar areas, but the top where I have the stitch is really painful and everything irritates it. I've had to go back to a soft diet, whereas I was ready to try things like eggs and toast and step it up a bit.

In case I didn't mention it already, once the doc started the surgery, he "decided" to just take out my uvula too! No, we hadn't discussed it beforehand, and I didn't even give my consent, neither did my husband who was waiting in the family room. But for reasons unknown, the doctor thought it needed to also come out. It wasn't swollen, and it wasn't bothering me in any way. Prior to starting the surgery, the doc stopped to see me but he didn't even look in my mouth, he just talked to me about my prescriptions. Seems like at that time, he could have looked at my tonsils and then saw if there was a problem with my uvula. So I don't know when or why he decided to take it out.

At any rate, he left me with just one stitch, supposedly dissolvable but I can feel it and it really bothers me. And everything I eat with a little bit of spice in it, burns. I tried Diet Coke and it burned. Beefaroni burned. Mashed potatoes with gravy burned (but not plain mashed potatoes, however, I lost my appetite for the white mush).

I feel nothing about the tonsils anymore, but the uvulaectomy is causing me problems. A Google search found a lot of people that had both procedures at the same time, experienced much more pain and discomfort and required longer recoveries due to the uvulaectomy than the tonsillectomy.

So now I've got to slow down my rush to recovery and go back to eating soft foods and liquids. I've ordered protein shakes, and I finally got my vaporizer, so I'm going to take it easy for the next few days. The mucus has cut down significantly, and for that I'm grateful! That was horrible, used to wake me up choking!

I've got to talk to someone about why my doctor just up and decided to cut out stuff without my consent....

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Same thing happened to me last week. Weird. Hopefully it was for the best.

mis said...

At least your doctor told your hubby. My doctor told NO ONE. Didn't document, didn't bill for it, didn't tell my pcp. NO ONE knew till I kept having my daily meds come out my nose. I am going to see what I can do legally, because I am sick of having pills come out my nose.