Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Downside of Super Quick Weight Loss

This is just my own personal theory, but I think our bodies KNOW what size we're supposed to be, and if we try to trick them, or shock them, into a new size, without giving it time to really adjust - it will fight back like crazy! That's why you see people who lose 20 pounds in two weeks, then it comes right back! Their body was like, whaaaaa?

During my recovery from the tonsillectomy, I dropped 15 pounds in that first week. It felt GREAT. I felt great. I was in my closet trying on old clothes, fantasizing about how I would go back to work and everyone would be all over me, asking for my secret, lol. I didn't feel hunger or fatigue, I guess due to the IV and meds that were in my system. I even developed a plan to kepe the momentum going. When I was able to eat again, I started eating properly, strictly low carb, lots of water. I even ordered a bunch of Atkins shakes from Netrition since my throat was still pretty sore. I walked at least 2 miles every day, sometimes twice a day.

The scale dipped for a moment, but then slowly, it started inching back up. No matter what I did, each day, the scale showed a slight increase. I was so frustrated, but I wasn't about to do anything drastic. At this point, the only thing I could do was NOT eat. And I love food too much to even attempt that!

So today, two and a half weeks later, I've settled at about an eight pound loss. Not bad, considering I was sick and recovering and taking liquid Vicodin most of the time. I'm disappointed, sure, because I really wanted that 15 pound loss! But when I look at it logically, that's about 4 pounds a week - and that ain't bad!

What does this tell me? My body knew that it wasn't right to drop 15 pounds like that. Even though I was already in a low carb consistent weight loss mode, there was no fooling the boss! However, I'm happy that it quickly settled back into my original program and still rewarded me with a loss. It was just mind boggling to workout so hard, eat well, and then get up and see a pound gain!

Basically, don't let it control your life - its going to happen the way it should. Just stay consistent, stay motivated, keep your eyes on the prize, and all of the other cliches, lol.

0 comments: